Health DG: Malaysian woman is country's 17th coronavirus victim

Health DG: Malaysian woman is country's 17th coronavirus victim

A sickly 65-year-old Malaysian woman is the latest confirmed 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) case, bringing the number of infections in the country to 17.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the woman is the mother-in-law of the Malaysian who was confirmed to have been infected with the virus on Feb 4, the ninth case in the country.

He said the woman was suffering from various chronic ailments such as high blood pressure, diabetes, partial paralysis of the body, and is a heart patient with a pacemaker and limited movement ability.

He said the woman had direct contact with the ninth case when she joined him and several other family members for Chinese New Year meals on several occasions between Jan 26 and 28.

"According to her, she stayed at home from Jan 29 until Feb 4. However, on Feb 5, she complained of feeling unwell, with fatigue, dizziness and perspiration but no fever, ” he said in a statement Sunday (Feb 9).

Dr Noor Hisham said the woman was taken to a private hospital for outpatient treatment and allowed to return home after being given a follow-up appointment on Feb 7.

"As soon as her son-in-law, the ninth case, was confirmed 2019-nCoV positive, she had been traced by the District Health Office.

"Investigations found that she did not have a history of travel to China. As part of the investigation activities, samples were taken from her and other family members, ” he said.

The coronavirus detection and confirmation tests conducted on her were reported to be positive on Saturday (Feb 8) while those for the other family members were negative, he said.

Dr Noor Hisham said the woman had been admitted to the isolation ward of Sungai Buloh Hospital and was in stable condition, and that contact tracing was continuing and the outcome would be announced from time to time.

The son-in-law of the woman was the first Malaysian confirmed as coronavirus positive on Feb 4. The 41-year-old man from Selangor had travelled to Singapore from Jan 16 to 22 to attend an international conference which involved a delegation from China. - Bernama