The Health Ministry today said a viral message on social media linking a death at a local private hospital to consuming food wrapped in banana leaf tainted by Nipah virus, was not true.
Selangor health director Datuk Dr Khalid Ibrahim said the ministry has conducted an investigation based on the message and found that there was no patient admitted to the hospital with such a case.
There was no case nor death notification received by the district health offices, the state health department or the ministry involving any disease or incidence of food poisoning suspected to be caused by the use of banana leaf or a case suspected being infected with the Nipah virus, he said in a statement.
The WhatsApp message alleged that a woman had encountered breathing difficulties and died later after consuming a meal wrapped in banana leaf that had the virus.
Dr Khalid urged the public not to believe news and messages that were not verified.
He said it would be best for them to get confirmation from the ministry before passing on incorrect information