Four more methanol poisoning deaths have been reported, three in Selangor and one in Kuala Lumpur, bringing the latest death toll recorded by the health ministry to 37.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the number of deaths reported by the ministry’s facilities up to 12pm yesterday were 23 cases in Selangor, 11 in Kuala Lumpur and three in Perak.
Based on nationality, the deaths comprised two Bangladeshis, two Indian nationals, 11 Myanmar nationals, eight Nepalese, 10 Malaysians and four others of unknown nationality.
Noor Hisham said the ministry had received 93 notifications of methanol poisoning cases from its health facilities from Sept 15 to 12pm yesterday.
“Since 12pm, Sept 23 until 12pm today, six new cases have been reported: four from Perak and one case each from Negeri Sembilan and Kuala Lumpur.
“With this increase, the number of methanol poisoning cases in Kuala Lumpur is 17. Cases in Negeri Sembilan increased by two while Selangor and Perak remain at 62 and 12 cases respectively,” he said in a statement.
Noor Hisham said of the total number of patients receiving treatment at hospitals, eight had been found to be stable and discharged.
Twenty-three patients are still receiving treatment at 12 hospitals around Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Perak and Negeri Sembilan. Of the 23, eight are critical cases, he said.
“The health ministry will continue to monitor the situation and take preventative and control measures to address this incident,” he said.