Penang recorded 595 dengue cases between January and Sept 24, an increase of 93.2% compared to the same period last year.
However, no deaths were recorded, said state health director Dr Ma’arof Sudin.
In a statement, he said the number of cases is still lower than during and before the pandemic – 806 cases in 2020, and 3,574 in 2019.
Ma’arof said 42 dengue outbreaks were reported as of Sept 24 compared to only seven last year. Nine of the outbreaks were still active.
During the same period, 312,711 premises in the state had been inspected, and 445 compound notices amounting to RM222,500 were issued to the owners of premises found to be breeding Aedes mosquitoes. – FMT