Japan’s first case of monkeypox confirmed in Tokyo

Japan confirmed its first case of monkeypox on Monday with a man in his 30s in Tokyo testing positive, Kyodo news agency quoted the Tokyo metropolitan government.

The patient travelled to a European country from late June to mid-July where he had close contact with a person infected with monkeypox, it said.

The man, who is currently hospitalised, started to feel unwell on July 15, the Tokyo government said. His symptoms include a fever, a headache and a rash, it added.

Earlier in the day, government officials held a meeting to discuss measures needed to respond to a possible outbreak of monkeypox in the country after the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Saturday declared the outbreak of the infectious disease a global health emergency.

Infections have been reported since May outside Central and West Africa, where the disease is endemic.

Symptoms of the disease, spread through close physical contact, include fever, extensive rashes, skin lesions and swollen lymph nodes following an incubation period of five to 21 days. – Bernama


HFMD: Child care centres should close even with only one case

The Kelantan government has suggested that child care centres in the state be closed should the premises record a case of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).

State Local Government, Housing and Health Committee chairman Dr Izani Husin said this move was an initial step to prevent the disease from spreading.

However, he said the matter was subject to the assessment of the State Health Department (JKNK) on whether the premises should close or otherwise.

“HFMD cases in this state are still high with the cumulative number reaching about 5,200 people. To date, a total of 20 child care centres had been ordered to close, of which 15 have resumed their operations.

“We hope the people will continue to practice good hygiene and seek immediate treatment at hospitals or observe self-quarantine if their children are showing HFMD symptoms,” he said.

Dr Izani said this to reporters after officiating at the ground-breaking ceremony of the new Kota Bharu Medical Centre (KBMC) hospital building here today. Also present were JKNK director Datuk Dr Zaini Hussin, KBMC chairman Tan Sri Ahmad Kamarulzaman Ahmad Badaruddin and general manager Mohd Nazri Yaacob.

The construction of the 12-storey hospital building with a 200-bed capacity will involve a cost of RM250 million.

On the recent monkeypox outbreak in several countries, Dr Izani said the state government advised the public to maintain cleanliness and hygiene.

“This disease may spread through contact with an infected person or animal. The prevention method is similar to the standard operating procedures for COVID-19. This means that if we are sick, we have to quarantine ourselves so that we do not infect others,” he said.